By Leslie Campos
There’s no denying that being the parent of a teenager is tough. Your teen is navigating a phase of life in which they’re not a child anymore, but they’re not quite an adult, either. By working with Powershift Coaching, you can fulfill your own potential and become more confident in your parenting skills. In the meantime, we’ve gathered some resources to help you be a great parent to your teen at any age!
Support Through Middle School
Your child is taking on new responsibilities and figuring out their identity. Here’s how to cultivate a supportive relationship with your teen during their middle school years.
- Keep an eye out for the signs of common mental health problems and help your teen seek professional support if necessary.
- Your teen can make new friends and pursue their passions by joining extracurricular activities.
- When your relationship with your teen feels strained, remember to focus on the positives rather than the negatives.
Guidance in High School
In high school, your teen is making big decisions about their future. You can give them guidance during this challenging time.
- If your teen regularly tries to push boundaries, set some fair yet firm ground rules for your household.
- Your teen might be struggling to decide what to do after high school. Follow these guidelines to nudge them in the right direction.
- Does your teen need to start building their resume? Encourage them to get a part-time job.
- Money management skills are crucial for any teen! This resource explains how your teen can start budgeting.
The Transition to Adulthood
Your child is growing up, and now, they’re out on their own! These resources are packed with suggestions for maintaining a great relationship with your older teen.
- Is your teen moving away to attend college? Stay in touch while granting them their independence.
- When your older teen comes to you with a problem, use these communication tips to share your advice.
- If you have an empty nest, you can pursue your own big goals, like earning your degree online!
The teenage years can be complicated and confusing. This period of time can be stressful for both you and your teen. But with these tips, you can find ways to improve your relationship with your teen throughout the years.
Photo via Pexels